These guides make recommendations on hardening computers that run Microsoft Windows Server 2008 in three distinct enterprise environments to achieve maximum security. "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Security Guide" by Microsoft is considered acceptable by NIST (for non-Top Secret servers).
Threats and Countermeasures Guide
This guide provide countermeasures for security threats threats against Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Security Checklist Guides for Vendors
These NIST/DOD hardening guides are designed to serve as security checklists to assess IT products' security configurations.
- Information Assurance Support Environment Security Checklists
- Windows 2008 Server Security Checklist
- OS and Application Checklists & Scoring
Guides from Universities:
These are some best practice examples and hardening guides for Windows, Mac OS and Linux from other US universities.
- University of California, Berkley--IT Security "Best Practices"
- University of Washington--Security and Privacy Policies
- University Of Washington--General Security
- University of California, Berkeley--Security
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign-- Security
Other relevant sources for security checklists.