UISO recommends securing your electronic devices and accessing GU via VPN. Upon request, UISO may grant you temporary access to full tunnel, or "travel" VPN.
***Note: In June of 2017, China introduced its own Cybersecurity Law, which greatly ramped up Chinese censorship. In 2018, China introduced a VPN ban. While Georgetown University is able to provide full tunnel GU VPN service, we cannot guarantee that it will function properly while in China. Reports of inconsistent access to VPN in China were widespread even prior to the ban.
Effective Practice: Cybersecurity for the International Traveler is provided by the The Research and Education Networks Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) which serves over 620 member institutions within the higher education and research community by promoting cybersecurity operational protections and response.
Promptly and calmly comply with any request for search/seizure of your devices. Contact UISO at email@example.com or call (202) 687-3031 when you are able to.
Here are guidelines to help you protect your data.
- Only bring the information that you absolutely *need* when traveling
- Store data in Box, which is fully encrypted and accessible anywhere.
- Restricted Data and PII should *not* be stored on any laptop.
- Encrypt your devices.
- Transport your laptop inconspicuously in a padded backpack or messenger bag.
- Keep your laptop in fulll view at all times.