UIS.501.1 Cloud Services Selection Guidelines
In support of UIS.501 Vendor Security Policy
Georgetown University Information Services (UIS) is ensuring that all third-party cloud hosting vendors are approved and authorized for any cloud hosting services, Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) or any other option of cloud hosting services. Third-party cloud hosting vendors must go through technical review and approval process before employing its services or gaining access to University technology assets, data, systems, servers, and networks.
Cloud Services Requirements
- Meet departmental business requirements
- Integrate with the Georgetown infrastructure and authentication
- Meet Georgetown’s information security requirements
- Fit the current and predictable departmental portfolio
- Be produced by a trusted company with a strong track record
- Align with the departmental staff expertise that will be required to administer, maintain, and support the solution
Choosing Cloud Services
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Software is managed and hosted by the vendor and accessed through the end-user browser
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
The vendor manages the software platform infrastructure, and the end-users develop, run, and manage applications and data on that platform.
PaaS requires the technical expertise to operate applications on a cloud platform.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
The end-users create an infrastructure in the cloud using resources provided by an IaaS vendor. The end-users develop, run, or manage software within that system.
IaaS requires the technical expertise to operate applications on a cloud platform.
In some cases, a cloud solution might not meet departmental needs. Departments that have considered SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS, can work through their UIS Account Manager to identify another option.
Purchasing Cloud Services
- UIS has contracts and agreements with a variety of cloud hosting services.
- Departments seeking to purchase cloud hosting services must work within the Georgetown procurement process for technology acquisitions
- Departments seeking to sponsor, use, or otherwise acquire, a cloud service must work within the UIS vendor assessment process along with the appropriate University approval authority for that acquisition.